Failed Batteries in Sump Pump Causes Basement to Flood in Sophia Home?
Do you know that you should replace the batteries in your sump pump every two to three years? Truthfully, I had no idea sump pumps had batteries, and I found out the hard way. Our local Beckley team responds to water damage emergencies 24 hours a day in Sophia. Flooded basements are a common cause of water damage, so here are some tips from the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety to keep your sump pump working correctly:
Check the sump pump batteries.
- Install a battery backup system
- Choose a system with a battery replacement warning
- Replace batteries every two to three years
Make sure the sump pump is not clogged.
- Open the lid and remove debris that may be blocking the water inlet screen
- Pour about five gallons of water into the pump and watch the float valve rise
- As the float valve rises, the pump should turn on, and the water should discharge through the outlet pipe
- Go outside and inspect the outlet pipe
- Water should be flowing from the pipe and away from the home
- Contact a plumbing professional if the sump pump fails to operate during this inspection
Call Us Today!
When your home or commercial business in Sophia has water damage and you need water damage restoration services, our local team in Beckley is Here to Help. ® Call us today at 304-253-6633.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.